PEOPLE'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH RECORDS
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The People's Presbyterian Church records span the years 1906-2000. Material includes organizational papers, financial records, guest books, Session minutes, Sunday school record books, board of trustees’ minutes and photographs. This collection is a good resource because of the Church’s longevity in the African American community and its well-kept records.
This series contains Board of Trustees minutes, correspondence, Deacon's Board minutes, guest books, membership transfers and Sunday school records. It also includes programs from the 50th and 75th anniversary celebrations and a City and County of Denver resolution passed on the 90th anniversary of the Church.
This series contains the financial secretary benevolence record books which list the members of the church and their gifts and donations. Also included are disbursement ledgers which record the funds paid out by the Church.
Bound volumes of Session minutes are contained in this series. The Session is the governing body of the local congregation.
This series contain color and black and white photographs from various church functions including Sunday School programs, retreats, picnics and breakfasts.
The collection is open for research.
Literary and copyrights have been assigned to the Denver Public Library.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
On June 26, 1906 the People’s Presbyterian Church was established in a vacant storeroom at 20th and Larimer in Denver, Colorado with 66 members. Reverend D. D. Cole served as first pastor of the newly organized congregation, from June 1906 to January 10, 1909. In March 1909, Reverend H. A. Gibson from the Presbytery of Yanktin, North Carolina was elected pastor. The pastor-elect died just two weeks after arriving in Denver.
Reverend J. A. Thomas-Hazell assumed pastoral charge in June 1909 facing a declining fellowship and a debt of $10,000 on the building that was purchased the year before from the Cumberland Presbyterian Board of Church Erection. Reverend Thomas-Hazell served until 1922, during which time the congregation grew by over 100%. Several other pastors served until May 1946, when Reverend Thomas-Hazell again was selected to fill the pastorate until his resignation in 1949.
Reverend Hugh A. Mullings was installed as pastor on January 1, 1949. Within seven years the church became self-supporting. In January 1955, the congregation moved into its new building at East 28th and York Street, formerly occupied by Clayton Presbyterian Church. Its members have provided a variety of services to the people in the surrounding Five Points neighborhood. Services include a free meal program, tutoring, and establishing a community school in the church basement to teach people to read and study for their GED certificates.
In 1996, Denver Mayor Wellington Webb approved a resolution on the church’s 90th anniversary recognizing People’s Presbyterian Church and its important contributions to the citizens of Denver.
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Collection was acquired as a gift from the People's Presbyterian Church on April 1, 2003.
Number of Boxes: 5
Tammi E. Haddad
REVISED AND ENCODED BY:
Merrie Jo Schroeder
- PEOPLE'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script