Alexander Edward Hoyle Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Hoyle family letters and photos, some Berthoud family material. Correspondence of his father S.Z. Hoyle and uncle Francis E. (Frank) Everett (banker in Golden, Colo.) concern Colo. mining ventures at Lawson and Fairplay, and in Boulder County at Caribou and Salina. Photographs include: view of Orient Mine near Lawson, Colo., town of Lawson (Clear Creek County), Colo., studio portraits of Clara B. Everett and S.Z. Hoyle.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Alexander Edward Hoyle was an eastern U.S. based architect, born Apr. 13, 1881 in Golden, Colo. He was the son of the miner Stephen Zenas Hoyle (1844-1906) and Eva Berthoud Hoyle (1852-1892). After his mother's death, Hoyle was sent to live with relatives in Mass. where he was educated at Harvard and began his practice as an architect in Boston, Mass. at Cram & Ferguson (later named Hoyle, Doran & Berry). Hoyle retired in 1961 and died in Brookline, Mass. in January 1969.
1 box (.25 linear feet)
1 photo folio
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Clarissa C. (Mrs. Allen) Hoffman (niece), 1977, 1997-1999.
Includes former C Photo Collection 166.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architects -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bankers -- Colorado -- Golden -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lawson (Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Miners -- Colorado -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado -- Boulder County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oil well drilling -- Colorado -- Boulder County. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Orient Mine (Lawson, Colo.) -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tintypes (prints) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States