Sarah Hively Diary, March 19, 1863-July 9, 1865; January 1,1877-June 1, 1878
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a diary that tells about trip by covered wagon from Omaha to Denver along the Platte (Apr.-May 1863) and the rigors of housekeeping in early Denver. In 1864, mentions Cherry Creek flood, Indian raids, and her husband's joining Colonel Chivington to fight Indians near Fort Lyon, Colorado.
- March 19, 1863-July 9, 1865; January 1,1877-June 1, 1878
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Sarah Hively was a housewife in Denver, Colo. during pioneer times. B. Apr. 8, 1841. Married Andrew Hively (1835- ) Mar. 19, 1863 and left Indiana for the "far West."
1 envelope(s) (1 volume)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; R.L. Pennington, Fort Collins, Colo.; 1966.
Diary is dated March 19, 1863-July 9, 1865 and January 1, 1877-June 1, 1878.
Photocopy of original diary. Permission required for publishing.
- Cost and standard of living -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Floods -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Housewives -- Colorado -- Denver -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sand Creek Massacre, Colo., 1864. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Sarah Hively Diary, March 19, 1863-July 9, 1865; January 1,1877-June 1, 1878
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script