Scope and Contents
Early views of Lawton, Oklahoma. Images show the growth of the town from tents to buildings in 1901, Comanche and Apache Indians, scenery, and the arrival and departure of the first train.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
1 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Inked on cover: "Oklahoma - Cities Lawton."
Inked on inside cover: "Lawton, Oklahoma."
Inked on first page: "Lawton scenes."
Album contains albumen, and gloss and matte collodion prints.
Titles of photographic prints penciled beneath images on album pages.
Formerly PAFI Album # 259
Table of Contents
Old Main Street. August 5th 1901 -- Corner of old G or Gooan [?] & Main Street August 5th 1901 -- Auction sale of Lawton Aug 6 -- 20 days later -- The first ten filling [i.e. filing] Aug. 6 -- Last ten filling [i.e. filing] 60 day later -- First bath house -- First water closet -- Young Comanche chief -- Two Comanche Indians -- Comanche squaws -- The same -- Apache Indian village -- Apart of the above -- Squaw with papoose -- Apache boys at Medicine Creek Bluff -- Comanche Indians & boys -- Quanah Parkers resident [i.e. residence] the Comanche Chief -- Fire -- Whirl wind -- The first train in Oct. 13 - 1901 -- The first out, Oct. 13 - 1901 -- Fifteen days old -- View between C & D Ave. -- C. Ave 30 days old -- C Ave. 90 days old -- D. Ave looking west. 90 days old -- D. Ave. looking east -- Signal Mountain -- Ft. on Signal Mt. built in 1836 -- Mt. scenery -- Mt. scenery -- Mt. Scenery -- Mt. Scenery -- Mt. Scenery -- Mt. Sherdan [?] -- Mt. Scenery -- Mt. Scenery -- Natural gas 2 1/2 mi of Lawton -- Excursion -- Our camping outfit -- 30 days later -- Indians at slaughter house -- A bunch of Indians -- First snow in Lawton -- A. J. Vick [?] Dec. 16, 1901 -- First post office -- [Four snapshots of woman and children].
some photographic prints soiled and stained.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cities and towns -- Growth -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collodion prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lawton (Okla.) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Photographs[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script