Edward Kelby album
Scope and Contents
Views from a voyage aboard the USS Ophir from San Francisco to France at the end of World War I. Images of war ships, the crew of the USS Ophir, sailors, Panama and the canal, the Azores, France, Gibraltar and the destruction of the USS Ophir by fire at the beginning of the armistice. Views of the Japanese ship SS Awa Maru which returned the sailors of the USS Ophir to Hampton Roads, Virginia.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
1 photo box(es)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Title from PAFI inventory.
Formerly PAFI Album #193
Album contains photographs and two newspaper clippings.
Table of Contents
San Francisco U.S.S. Ophir -- Sunset on San Francisco Bay -- Eddie Cramer - and friend wife off coast of Central America -- Gatun Locks Panama Canal -- Gold Hill, Panama Canal -- Atlantic entrance to Panama Canal -- Futile attempt to explode mine -- U.S.S. Leviathan New York Harbor -- Loire River France -- Nantes France -- U.S.S. Middlesex and Dirigible on patrole [sic] -- Convoy awaiting departure Royan France -- U.S.S. South Dakota at sea -- Crack colored troop and commander St. Nazaire, France -- S.S. Paris St. Nazaire -- Wounded French soldiers Bordeaux, France -- Survivors of U.S.S. Buena Ventura -- Ensign Williams buried at sea with military honors -- U.S.S. Buffalo -- U.S. naval barracks, Gibraltar -- Survivors of the U.S.S. Ophir Gibraltar -- U.S.S. Ophir afire, Gibraltar -- Submarine chasers & mother ship Tonopah -- Ponta Delgada, Azores -- Crew of SS. Awa Maru Hampton Roads, Virginia -- From the air -- T6 per 1400 ft.
album cover worn, many photographic prints faded, soiled, and discolored.
- Battleships -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- France -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gibraltar -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Panama -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1914-1918 -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Edward Kelby album[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script