Denver Public Library; Construction, Branch renovations, Opening Celebrations, City Librarians
Scope and Contents
Views of the construction of the central Denver Public Library designed by Burnham Hoyt in the 1950's and interior and exterior elevations of the construction of the central Denver Public Library designed by Michael Graves in the 1990's. Includes views of some of the sketches and models for the central library by various architects. Shows the construction and renovations at various branch libraries in the Denver Public Library system. Images of the preparation for, and the grand opening celebrations of, the new central library and the children's library and pavilion held in December of 1995. Views of the opening galas which include many individual and group photographs of library staff and celebrities who include the Mayor, Wellington Webb, his wife, Wilma Webb, members of the Denver City Council, the City Librarian, Rick Ashton, and the architect, Michael Graves. Collection includes portraits of the City Librarians from 1889 to 2006.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Denver Public Library photo archives.
Images from C Photo Framed 11, City Librarian photograph collection, added to this collection December 2010.
Photographers include Rhoda Pollack, Hasi Vogel, Randy Malone / CoMEDIA, William Thach, LASZLO.
Varying Form of Title
Denver Public Library, City Librarian photograph collection
Table of Contents
v.1. Central construction, 1954-1957 and 1993-1995 -- v.2. DPL branches and bookmobile -- v.3. Grand opening -- v.4. Grand opening gala 1 -- v.5. Grand opening gala 2 -- v.6 Children's grand opening -- Item 1. John Cotton Dana, 1889-1897 -- Item 2. John E. Parsons, 1897-1899 -- Item 3. Charles R. Dudley, 1899-1910 -- Item 4. Chalmers Hadley, 1911-1924 -- Item 5. Malcolm Glenn Wyer, 1924-1951 -- Item 6. John T. Eastlick, 1951-1969 -- Item 7. Henry G. Shearouse, Jr., 1969-1984 -- Item 8. Rick J. Ashton, 1985-2006 -- Item 9. Shirley Amore, 2006-
- Building -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Collections (object groupings) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Color slides. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Denver (Colo.) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Librarians -- Colorado -- Denver -- Portraits. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Libraries -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Library buildings -- Design and construction -- Colorado -- Denver -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Denver Public Library; construction, branch renovations, opening celebrations, City Librarians[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script