[Otto Kuhler album
Scope and Contents
The album contains images of architectural renderings and views of railroad car interiors (dining, sleeping, and passenger cars), exteriors, furniture and fixtures; it includes locomotives and cars for the Lehigh Valley Valley Railroad Company, the Milwaukee Road, the American Locomotive Company, the City of New York, the 1946 Massachusetts Transit, and the City of Philadelphia; images of a commuter bus for the Baltimore & Ohio, the redesign of railroad station interiors in Des Moines, Iowa and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a prefabricated automobile service station, and the preliminary design of an ocean cruise vessel.
- between 1930 and 1950?
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Otto Kuhler was an industrial designer trained in mechanical engineering. He and his wife moved to the U.S. in 1927. In 1931 he became design consultant for the American Locomotive Company where he designed some of America's finest luxury trains. In 1947, the Kuhlers moved to the KZ Ranch in Deer Creek Valley near Bailey, Colorado. He became a recognized Colorado artist.
1 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source: William C. Jones
Title from PAFI inventory.
Formerly PAFI Album # 200
some photoprints are stained and /or discolored.
- Locomotives -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Railroad passenger cars -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Design and construction -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the [Otto Kuhler album][graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script