Fred Harvey photograph collection
Scope and Contents
These images were photographed by and for the Fred Harvey Company. Images of Fred Harvey restaurants, hotels, newsstands, gift shops, other business enterprises, and employees are represented, including some of the famous "Harvey Girls," women whom Harvey employed as waitresses. Views in Arizona, California, and New Mexico. Images are from the 1890's through the 1950's.
- between 1980 and 1990?
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Fred Harvey began his company in 1870 after meeting the president of the Santa Fe Railway. He built restaurants, hotels and lunchrooms along the route of the Santa Fe railroad (Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company) in the states of Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, California, Arizona, and New Mexico. When the Santa Fe railroad added dining cars in the 1890's the Fred Harvey Company got the contract. The Fred Harvey Company was sold in 1968.
1 photo box(es)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source: Gordon Chappell
Title from first page in album.
For study purposes only: DO NOT COPY OR DUPLICATE!
Formerly PAFI Album # 189.
Table of Contents
Fred Harvey -- The California Limited at Casa del Desierto, the Harvey House at Barstow, Calif. -- Fred Harvey lunch room, depot, San Diego, Calif. -- AT&SF RY. dining car -- News stand, Clovis, New Mexico -- Indian Building, Albuquerque, New Mexico -- AT&SF RY. depot and Fred Harvey Hotel "El Navajo," Gallup, New Mexico -- The Alvarado Hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico -- "The Lookout" Grand Canyon, built 1914 now called Lookout Studio -- A terrace of Hopi House Grand Canyon, Arizona -- Hotel El Tovar Grand Canyon -- Bright Angel Lodge, ca. 1940 Grand Canyon -- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon, Ariz. -- The Cardenas, Santa Fe Hotel and Station, Trinidad, Colorado -- Depot and Harvey House, Colorado Springs, Colo. -- [Harvey Girls] -- [La Fonda Hotel, Santa Fe, New Mexico] -- [A Harveycar, a touring car, at a New Mexico pueblo] -- [Navajo Indians].
- Arizona -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- California -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Copy prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hospitality industry -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hotels -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Mexico -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Restaurants -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Fred Harvey photograph collection[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script