Spanish American War album
Scope and Contents
Views of Manila and the Philippines during the Spanish American War. Some images of Company I, 1st Colorado Infantry. Two photographs of children with a bicycle, probably Colorado. A photo of ice skaters on a mountain lake possibly near Evergreen, Colo., one of the men is Benjamin F. Stapleton (1920s). A portrait of a girl: Lois Jane Stapleton, daughter of Benjamin F. Stapleton (April 19, 1937).
- between 1898 and 1899
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
1 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Title supplied by cataloger.
Formerly PAFI Album # 255.
The accompanying photographic prints are from the 1920's or later.
Table of Contents
Burning of Tondo District, Manila P.I. Feb. 1899 -- Mouth of Pasig River and showing a part of the city of Manila -- [Manila Bay] -- Ra[id transit in the Philippines -- Pasig River, bridge of Spain in the background -- Insurgent soldiers in the trenches -- Aquinaldo and his advisors taken at Hong Kong -- One of Manila's many canals showing cascos used in carrying freight -- Philippine boatmen and their boats -- Native boys diving for pennies -- Colonel Stotsenberg, 1st Nebr. Regt. -- Co I, 1st Colo. Inftry. on the field -- Co I, 1st Colo. in heavy marching order -- Building where private Phenix was killed Aug. 13-98 -- Foraging party after a two hours [sic] trip in vicinity of water works -- Insurgent soldiers and block house five in the distance -- Review of insurgent troops by Aquinaldo at San Fernando, Sept. 98 -- Convent where 1st American trenches were built -- Wounded insurgent being carried to American Hospital by Philippine prisoners -- Spanish arsenal and battle field [sic] of Feb 5-99 -- Co I, 1st Colo. returning from drill -- Kitchen in the field -- Breaking camp at Camp Dewey -- San Sebastian Church and Convent -- Native district in Manila -- Moving supplies -- Issuing fresh meat at San Sebastian -- A group of Co I on deck of S.S. China -- Spanish guns on inside of walls surrounding old Manila -- Mound left after burning of Block House five.
album is in poor condition, loose pages, water damage. Photographic prints are faded, discolored, soiled, torn.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Collodion prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philippines -- History -- Philippine American War, 1899-1902. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philippines -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- Philippines -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Spanish American War album[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script