Kenneth Jessen Collection
Scope and Contents
Views from Boulder, Clear Creek County, Gilpin County, Jackson County, Larimer County, Moffat County, Park County, and Routt County, Colorado. Images of abandoned mines, mills and mine buildings; the ruins of a homestead cabin; abandoned businesses; historic cabins, houses, schoolhouses, a hotel, and church; an arrastra; the Edwin Carter Museum; a railroad depot; railroad locomotive 44 on the George Town Loop railroad, and Colorado and Southern railroad locomotive no. 60. Towns include Russell Gulch, Black Hawk, Idaho Springs, Eldora, Gold Hill, Parkville, Dyersville, Montezuma, Sacramento, Nederland, Tolland, Central City, Nevadaville, Tarryall, Jefferson, Lamartine, Ward, Dumont, Caribou, Wapiti, Grand Island, Hahns Peak, Columbine, Breckenridge, Balarat, Waldorf, Perigo, Yankee, Summerville, Park City, McGregor, Goodlys, Dunckley, Pearl, Hughesville, and East Portal. Other identified subjects include: Buell Mine power plant, Alta boarding house, Argo Mill interior, Hitchin' Post store, Peter McFarland home, Ashcroft Hotel, Hahns Peak schoolhouse, Franklin Mine structures, Lamartine mine hoist house, interior, Centennial Reduction Works, Wolf Tongue Mill, Willow Creek Mill, Kansas Mine, National Belle Mine, Yankee Girl boarding house, Colorado and Northwestern depot in Ward. The digital photos are of primarily abandoned town sites in the Eastern Colorado. Location of sites were determined by Glenn Scott's Trails Maps, United States Geological Survey.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Kenneth Jessen is the author of many books and articles on Colorado history.
1 photo box
597 Megabytes (194 jpegs, 16 Excel file inventories)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Kenneth Jessenm 1999, 2019, 2020.
All images are labeled.
- Abandoned houses -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Abandoned mines -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ghost towns -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Log cabins -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Regional Transportation District (Denver, Colo.) -- Photographs.
- Street-railroads -- Colorado -- Denver -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script