George B. Sudworth collection: and Will Bevins re-photography project
Scope and Contents
The albums include views of the White River Forest Reserve (White River National Forest) and Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve (Grand Mesa National Forest); they show the aftermath of forest fires, overgrazed meadows, scenic views of mountains, mesas, canyons, forests, lakes, streams, rivers, and timber reserves. Images of cabins, lumber mills, mines, railroad ties, ranches, and some views of Leadville (Lake County), Colorado.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
George P. Sudworth was the first government official to evaluate the White River Plateau Timberland Reserve. Sudworth's notes are found in USGS report #20, part 5, "Forest Reserves." Will Bevins re-photographed 84 of the Sudworth images as part of an Eagle Scout project.
3 photo box(es)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Bill Kight;White River National Forest, Glenwood Springs, Colo.;March 15, 2000.
Title from gift agreement.
The collection contains albumen photographic prints, photographic prints, printed images from digital files, text, and a CD-ROM (computer laser photo disc). The images have handwritten or typed identification.
The collection is in two parts. The first part consists of nine albums of 404 original photographs by George Sudworth taken in 1898. The second part, the re-photography project, consists of an album that contains reproductions of a selection of the Sudworth photographs, and photographic prints and reproductions of photographs taken 100 years later by a number of photographers under the leadership of Will Bevins. The original images were created as part of a forest survey of the White River Forest Reserve (White River National Forest) and Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve (Grand Mesa National Forest) in Colorado. The modern images were made to show how much the landscape had changed in the ensuing 100 years.
Varying Form of Title
Will Bevins re-photography project of the White River and Battlement Mesa Forest Reserves
Table of Contents
v. I. White River Forest Reserve, 1 to 50 -- v. II. White River Forest Reserve, 51 to 100 -- v. III. White River Forest Reserve, 101 to 151 -- v. IV. White River Forest Reserve, 152 to 192; Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 193 to 199 -- v. V. Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 200 to 249 -- v. VI. Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 250 to 299 -- v. VII. Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 300 to 349 -- v. VIII. Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 350 to 399 -- v. IX. Battlement Mesa Forest Reserve, 400 to 420 -- [v.X] The George Sudworth re-photography project / by Will Bevins, project leader ; edited by Bill Kight, Heritage Resource Manager, White River National Forest.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the Conservation Collection.
the nine Sudworth albums have loose covers.
- Albumen prints Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Computer graphics Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forest reserves -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Forests and forestry -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Grand Mesa National Forest (Colo.) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- White River National Forest (Colo.) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the George B. Sudworth collection[graphic] :and Will Bevins re-photography project
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script