Al Bachman slide presentations collection
Identifier: C Photo Collection 154
Scope and Contents
Ten slide presentations. Show no. 1, "Colorado Ghost Towns and Mining Camps:" images and narration on gold and silver booms between 1850 and 1900 in the Aspen, Leadville and Silverton regions. Images of houses, stores, saloons, railroads and mines. Show no. 2, "Evolution of a Hobby:" explains the narrator's hobbies of photography, camping, fishing, and fly-tying, and how they led to an interest in ghost towns. Images of Carson City, Telluride, and Ophir Canyon. Show no. 3, "The First 3000 Years in Colorado:" Colorado history from the Native Americans to the mountain men, and later the discovery of gold. Images of Chalk Creek, the Alpine Tunnel, the towns of Mount Princeton, St. Elmo, Alpine, Romley, and Handcock. Show no. 4, "Ghost-towns of the Silvery San Juans:" mining in the San Juans, railroads, roads, and trails, views of Lake City, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Carson City, Sherman, Whitecross, Hensen, Capitol City, Rose's Cabin, Engineer City, Mineral Point, Animas Forks, Eureka, Red Mountain Town, Alta, Camp Bird, Tomboy, and Sneffels. Views of Stony, Cinnamon, Engineer, Black Bear, and Ophir passes. Show no. 5, "Gold, Silver and Black Sand:" Information on minerals, mines, and mining methods. Views of Ora City, Holy Cross City, Caribou, Ashcroft, and Fulford. Show no. 6, "Soiled Doves of the Gold & Silver Days:" the story of prostitution in the early towns and mining camps. Show no. 7, "Vanishing Ghost-towns:" Vandalism, souvenir-hunters, developers, and weather and their effects on ghost-towns. Show no. 8, "Trappers, Trade, and Taos-lightning:" Travel on the Santa Fe Trail, life of the trapper, trade with the Indians and the Spanish, "Taos-Litning" [moonshine] and it's effect of pioneer life. Show no. 9, "They Came West:" The westward movement, why people came west, the development of the west. Show no. 10, "Dreams:" The story of the dreams of the early-day pioneer and prospector. Stories of the promotions, hoaxes, and get rich schemes of the period.
- between 1960 and 1979
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
3 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Al Bachman;Greeley, Colo.;gift.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Most slides have handwritten identification.
In addition to the 1419 slides the collection includes special formats: 20 sound tape reels, analog, 3 3/4 ips.; 1 leather bound notebook titled, "Record," includes dates of slide presentations made between 1969 and 1987; typed instructions for the use of the Maestro II, 35 mm. slide projector; a mimeographed list of the ten slide presentations, their length and content; a bibliography prepared by Al and Veda Bachman titled: "Our Hobby -- Colorado, It's Ghost Towns & Mining Camps;" a bibliography prepared by Al Bachman titled: "Colorado Ghost Towns & Mining Camps;" nine typed scripts on note cards for presentations 2-10.
Includes photographic copies of historic photographs, drawings, etc.
250 slides were removed from the collection and digitized. For these digitized images or similar subjects search DPL's Digital Collection.
Table of Contents
1. Colorado ghost-towns & mining camps, narrated by Al Bachman -- 2. Evolution of a hobby, narrated by Al Bachman -- 3. The first 3000 years in Colorado, narrated by Al Bachman -- 4. Ghost-towns of the silvery San Juans, narrated by Al Bachman -- 5. Gold, silver, and black sand, narrated by Al Bachman -- 6. Soiled doves of the gold & silver days, narrated by Guy Elliott -- 7. Vanishing ghost-towns, narrated by Joe Tennessen -- 8. Trappers, trade, and Taos-lightning, narrated by Bob Calhoun -- 9. They came west, narrated by Bob Calhoun -- 10. Dreams, narrated by Jack Redus.
- Audiovisual materials Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ghost towns -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Al Bachman slide presentations collection[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script