A limited edition of photographs from the negative collection of David. F. Barry
Scope and Contents
Portraits and images in portfolio I: Rain-in-the-Face, Gall, Low Dog, Sitting Bull, Crow King, Red Horse, Long Dog, Running Antelope, John Grass, American Horse, Red Cloud, Young-Man-Afraid-of-His Horse, Rain-in-the-Face, Sitting Bull, and a burial tree. Portraits and images in portfolio II: Custer, fellow officers, their wives and friends, Captain Thomas W. Custer, First Lt. James Calhoun, Captain Frederick W. Benteen, First Lt. Edward S. Godfrey, Captain Thomas M. McDougall, Charley Reynolds, Curley, General Nelson Miles, Custer Battlefield monument, Fort Yates, Reno Hill widows and survivors, Custer Hill, ten years to the day, Survivors at Fort Custer, Fort Assinniboine. Portraits and images in portfolio III: Sitting Bull, Grass dancers, Arikara scout, War Eagle, Chief Joseph, Gall, Wild Horse, Indian police Standing Rock Agency, Charging Hawk, Arikara medicine man, Goose, Long Soldier, Sitting Bull and Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley, Sitting Bull's family.
- Barry, D. F.(David Francis),1854-1934. (Person)
- Goff, Lyman Bullock. (Person)
- Harbough, Paul H. (Person)
- Hassrick, Royal B. (Person)
- Carroll, John M. (John Melvin), 1928-1990 (Person)
- Josephy, Alvin M., 1915-2005. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
3 photo folio
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Accession information unknown.
Each image in the edition was contact printed using the original glass plate negative from the David Francis Barry Negative Collection acquired by the Denver Public Library, Western History Dept. in 1934.
Photographs by D.F. Barry and probably Lyman Bullock Goff.
Title from booklet accompanying the portfolios.
Introduction to portfolio I by Royal B. Hassrick, to portfolio II by John M. Carroll, and to Portfolio III by Alvin M. Josephy, Jr.
Limited edition of 150 copies.
Table of Contents
Portfolio 1: -- Chiefs of the Sioux Wars and the Battle of Little Bighorn -- Portfolio 2: Custer, prominent military structures, and the men who fought the Sioux Wars -- Portfolio 3: Plains warriors, chiefs, scouts and frontier personalities.
- Custer, George A. (George Armstrong), 1839-1876 -- Pictorial works.
- Dakota Indians -- Wars. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Portraits. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Little Bighorn, Battle of the, Mont., 1876. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West (U.S.) -- History -- 1848-1860 -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the A limited edition of photographs from the negative collection of David. F. Barry /printed, produced and published by Paul Harbaugh
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script