Ted Swem Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, reports, maps, interviews, photographs, newspaper clippings, personal diaries, notebooks and audio tapes. As well as material covering the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (1971), the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (1980) and material from Swem's involvement with the Wilderness Society.
- Check date
Conditions Governing Access
Some material restricted. Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Theodor R. Swem was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 1917. He received his B.S. in Forestry from Iowa State University before pursuing graduate work at Harvard. Swem moved to Colo. in 1944 to work for the Colorado State Game and Fish Department. He later worked for the Bureau of Reclamation, National Park Service and as Chairman for the Alaska Planning Group for the Department of the Interior. His work with the Alaska Planning Group culminated in legislation known as the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA) that designated more than 79 million acres be set aside for National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges (1980). Swem was also involved with the implementation of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (1971) and served as President of the Wilderness Society and on the Board of Directors for the American Rivers Organization. Swem died in 2006.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Ted Swem;gift;1998. Helen Swem;gift;2008
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: DPL Conservation Collection.
- Alaska -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Swem, Ted -- Archives.
- United States. National Park Service -- Officials and employees.
- Wilderness Society (U.S.)
- Finding Aid for the Ted Swem papers,1961-2005[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script