Courtney Ryley Cooper Book List
Scope and Contents
Collection contains letters from Cooper sent from New York City to Miss Scott and Mr. Wyer, Denver (Colo.) Public Library regarding "List of Children's Books too Good to Miss" list created by DPL and signed by Cooper.
- Cooper, Courtney Ryley,1886-1940. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Courtney Ryley Cooper (October 31, 1886 -- September 29, 1940) was an American circus performer, publicist and writer. During his career he published over 30 books, many focusing on crime; J. Edgar Hoover considered him at one time "the best informed man on crime in the U. S." He was also an expert on circuses, and was the chief publicist for Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey Circus at the time of his death.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Courtney Ryley Cooper, 1930, 1931, 1933.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Part of Children's Literature Collection
- Authors, American -- Correspondence -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Best books. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's libraries -- Colorado -- Denver -- Book lists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cooper, Courtney Ryley, 1886-1940 -- Archives.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script