Amanda Bell Matthews Diary
Scope and Contents
Typed transcript of journal written April 18 to September 12, 1852, describing travel from Iowa to California. Gives information on weather conditions, Native American tribes and encounters with wild animals.Travelers average 20 miles a day.
- April 18, 1852 – September 12, 1852
- Matthews, Amanda Bell. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Cover made of wallpaper – ripped and deteriorating around the top, bottom and right side
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Matthews, Amanda Bell -- Archives.
- Overland journeys to the Pacific. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers -- United States -- Diaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script