Charles Blanchard Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains eyewitness account of Indian attacks on a wagon train 1868. Material concerning Las Vegas and St. Louis Mining and Smelting Company; personal correspondence.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Blanchard was a Las Vegas, New Mexico pioneer. Born on January 1, 1842 in St. Mark, Lower Canada. Traveled across the plains to New Mexico by ox train in 1864. Beginning as a wagonmaster, became merchant, judge, and civic leader. President of Las Vegas and St. Louis Mining and Smelting Company (incorporated 1880). Died 1914.
2 envelopes (9 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Mrs. Frank E. McCulloch, Albuquerque, N.M., 1967.
In part, photocopies. Repositories of originals unknown.
Ticket to concert of new organ in Catholic Church of Las Vegas, New Mexico (1885) noted in WH General Index. Blanchard cited as "Carlos Blanchard."
- Businessmen -- New Mexico -- Las Vegas -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico -- Wars. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Las Vegas (New Mexico) -- Economic conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Charles Blanchard Papers.
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script