Crawford Hill Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two letter books with correspondence (copies of ca. 1300 letters) of business and personal nature. Some earlier letters (Jan. 12-Mar. 29, 1900) signed by N. P. Hill.
- 1900-1901, 1917-1920
- Hill, Crawford, 1862-1922 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Nathaniel P. Hill (1832-1922) served as Mayor of Black Hawk (1872-1873) and was elected to the United States Senate (1879-1885). Hill researched methods or milling metals in Europe and began living permanently in Colorado in 1876. After working in the Senate, Hill became president of the Colorado Smelting and Refining Company, Denargo Land Company, and owner of the Denver Republican. Hill's son, Crawford Hill (1862-1922) was a Denver, Colo. financial and social leader. He followed in his father's footsteps, serving as president for the Denargo Land Market, the Hill Land and Investment Company, the Republican Publishing Company, and the Boston and Colorado Smelting Company.
1 box (2 volumes)
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid in repository.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Don Bloch, no date.
- Businessmen -- Colorado -- Denver -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver (Colo.) -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letter books. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Crawford Hill Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script