Eugene Cervi Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains, personal and business correspondence; speeches; editorials, articles, operational papers from Cervi's Rocky Mountain Journal; research subject files; family history; scrapbooks of Mary Clare Cervi and Marie Cervi; Cervi's newsletters; photographs; CD-ROM of speeches (1965-1971).
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Eugene Sisto Cervi was born in Centralia, Ill. on September 20, 1906 and moved with his family to Larkspur, Colo. in 1912 before settling in Denver, Colo. He attended Colorado College (1929) and then worked for a time in the steel mills of Pontiac, Mich. before returning to work for the Rocky Mountain News (1929-1936) as a police reporter, obituary writer and promotion editor. Cervi also worked for the Denver Post before World War II and during the war became the director of the Colorado Office of War Information and regional publicity director for the War Production Board. He formed a public relations firm with Ralph Radetsky in 1945 and in 1949 with the help of Gifford Phillips, owner of the Jefferson Sentinel, Lakewood, Colo., began publishing Cervi's Rocky Mountain Journal. Also active in politics, Cervi died in 1970.
1 Audiovisual box
1 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Cle Cervi Simons, 1975, 1994, 2002, 2008.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Uncontrolled Related/Analytical Title
Cervi's rocky mountain journal.
- Administrative records. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Political activists -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publishers and publishing -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reporters and reporting -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Research (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script