William Russell Thomas letters
Scope and Contents
Collection contains letters, almost all to his father: Chauncey Thomas (1813-1882), and concern career, marriage, travel, finances, other personal and Byers family matters. Many are on Rocky Mountain News stationery. Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm188).
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Denver, Colo. pioneer newspaperman born September 12, 1843 in Barryville, Sullivan County, New York. Moved to Colorado 1866 and began career with Rocky Mountain News 1867. Became brother-in-law of W.N. Byers (founder of the News). Appointed Adjutant General of the territorial militia 1873. DIed 1914, Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colo.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
David L. Jarrett,New York, N.Y.,purchase,1964.
Collection contains microfilm Mflm 188.
Microfilm reel also contains: Nathan C. Meeker papers (WH1680; Mflm186; RL2) and Three years in the West (-M1950; Mflm187; RL1).
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Journalists -- Colorado -- Denver -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the William Russell Thomas letters,1866-1879[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States