United States Work Projects Administration photograph albums
Scope and Contents
Images document a wide variety of projects under taken by the Work Projects Administration in Colorado. Views of road repair; construction, improvements and repairs of roads, curb and gutters, highways and bridges, airports, stone, adobe and wood public buildings, libraries, museums, courthouses, school buildings, school gymnasiums, zoos, parks, fish hatcheries, dams, storm sewers, water supply and sewage treatment; landscaping; rug and blanket weaving; adult education: art, theater, quilting and sewing, crafts, creative writing, home economics, shoe repair, and book repair programs; baby clinics; State Historic Project, models, woodcuts, and lithographs; Nursery schools; public health; grasshopper eradication; irrigation and stream and river projects; recreation facilities, baseball and football fields, tennis courts, swimming pools, boathouses, golf courses, horseshoe pitching courts; employee housing, and other public works.
- between 1934 and 1942
- United States.Work Projects Administration.Colorado. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Work Projects Administration was originally named the Works Progress Administration when it was established as a national agency on May 6, 1935, by an executive order of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was established as a relief measure during the Great Depression and lasted until it was phased out in 1943, after it was rendered unnecessary by increased employment and reduced relief rolls.
15 photo boxes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Title supplied by cataloger.
Box 23 is a detailed 3" x 5" card index of the entire collection.
Volume 4 is missing.
The 15 albums have been removed from oversize binders and placed in 23 boxes organized by album number. Box numbers do not necessarily correspond to album numbers because some albums required multiple boxes.
- Building -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Municipal water supply -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Recreation areas -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roads -- Design and construction -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sewage disposal -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Work Projects Administration.
- United States. Work Projects Administration. Colorado. -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Finding Aid for the United States Work Projects Administration photograph albums[graphic]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script