Harold E. Willits Papers
Scope and Contents
Includes two war journals on operation of various firearms, training schedules, military rankings, two sets of laser photocopies, schedule, checklist and handwritten memoir. Photographs of machine gun squad, Company E, 90th Infantry Regiment, Camp Hale, Colorado.
- Willits, Harold E.,1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Harold E. Willits was born in Washington in 1923. He enlisted in the Army March 11, 1943 at Seattle, Washington. At the time of his enlistment, he was living in Snohomish County, Washington. He was single, and had completed two years of high school. He joined the 10th Mountain Division in 1943 while it was engaged in winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colorado. He was assigned to the 90th Infantry Regiment. When the Division reorganized in 1944, he transferred to the 86th Infantry Regiment and served at Camp Swift and in Italy. During combat in Italy, Willits received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions near Torre Iussi on April 14, 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Harol E. Willits; 2005.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Canp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Archives.
- Willits, Harold E., 1923- -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Harold E. Willits Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 7, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script