Captain John J. Lambert Letters and Photograph
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two letters from Lambert to Capt. McCutcheon. -- 1. Letter dated July 20, 1867 from Fort Sumner, New Mexico describes conditions and life of a soldier in the West. Mentions the "well armed and equipped" Indians and the need for more cavalry to "cope successfully with the enemy." -- 2. Letter dated December 1, 1867 describes Fort Reynolds, Colorado Territory as a "new post on the bank of the Arkansas, 70 miles from Pikes Peak and 100 miles from Denver". Also discusses his last days in the Civil War. -- 3. Carte-de-visite photograph of Lambert in uniform.
- Lambert, John J., 1837-1916 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John J. Lambert was born in County Wexford, Ireland in January 1837. Emigrated with family to Iowa in 1851. Served in the United States Army during the Civil War. Mustered out in 1866. Rejoined as a Lieutenant and ordered to Fort Sumner, N.M., and later stationed at Fort Reynolds, Colorado Territory (November 1867-December 1871). Assigned to Company D, 5th U.S. Infantry Regiment. Later in Pueblo, Colo. where he founded the Pueblo Chieftain Newspaper. Died Pueblo, Colo. on January 5, 1916.
1 envelope (3 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Michael Brown Rare Books, 2003.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Cartes-de-visite (card photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Reynolds (Fort : Colo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fort Sumner (N.M. : Fort) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lambert, John J., 1837-1916 -- Archives
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- West (U.S.) -- Correspondence -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 5th (1815- ) -- Archival resources.
- West (U.S.) -- History, Military -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Captain John J. Lambert Letters and Photograph
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script