Polly Baca Papers
Scope and Contents
Personal and business correspondence; Colorado Senate and House working files; campaign literature; speech materials; press releases; working papers for presidential campaigns; Democratic National Committee materials; family papers; photographs; political posters; audiotapes; working files from civic groups.
- Baca, Polly,1941- (Person)
- Baca, Polly, 1941- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Hispanic civic leader. Born Weld County (Colo.). Graduated from Colorado State University in 1962 (B.A., political science). Began her career as an editorial assistant for a trade union newspaper in Washington, D.C. Worked on several Presidential campaigns beginning in the 1960s. Elected to the Colorado House of Representatives in 1974. First Hispanic woman to be elected to the Colorado Senate, served 1978 until 1986. Vice Chair of the Democratic National Committee from 1981 to 1989. Served as Executive Director of the Colorado Hispanic Institute, Director of the United States Office of Consumer Affairs, Regional Administrator of the General Services Administration. Inducted into the Colorado Women's Hall of Fame and the National Hispanic Hall of Fame. Active in local, regional, and national civic groups.
1 oversize folder
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Polly Baca, 2003, 2013.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Baca, Polly, 1941- -- Archives.
- Colorado -- Politics and government. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic National Committee (U.S.) -- Archives.
- Hispanic American women -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hispanic American women civic leaders -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political candidates -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Presidents -- United States -- Election. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women legislators -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States