Frank J. Cannon Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of a 236 page letter press book with index containing copies of correspondence (1899-1904) written by Cannon and secretary, David R. Gill. Correspondence includes thank you notes, responses to political inquiries and fund raising events. Collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm167).
- Cannon, Frank J. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Frank Jenne Cannon was born into a Mormon family on January 25, 1859 in Salt Lake City, Utah. His father was a polygamist and member of the First Presidency in the LDS Church. Cannon graduated from University of Deseret and worked as a reporter for Deseret News. Cannon married Martha A. Brown and became a popular Utah politician. Elected to congress in 1894, U.S. Senate 1897. Lost political favor and by 1904 left Mormon Church and Republican party and joined Democratic party. Cannon became the editor of the Salt Lake Tribune and wrote exposes about political and religious corruption in Utah. Died in Denver, Colo. in 1933.
1 envelope (1 volume)
2 microfilm reels
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, David L. Chow, 1964.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Cannon, Frank J. -- Archives
- Legislators -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspaper editors -- Utah Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Religion and politics -- Utah. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Frank J. Cannon Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States