David M. Fowler Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence, biographical information, newspaper clippings, obituary, memorial tributes and photographs.
- Fowler, David M.,1898-1981. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
David M. Fowler was born in Batttle Creek, Iowa on September 19, 1898. Enlisted in the U.S. Army on October, 1917. Fowler served in France during World War I with the 7th Infantry Division. Following the war, he was accepted at West Point and commissioned an officer in 1922. Fowler assumed command of the 87th Infantry Regiment of the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale on June 9, 1944. He commanded the regiment in Italy, where he was wounded in action and recieved a Bronze Star Medal at Mt. Belvedere in February 1945. He also recieved a Silver Star Medal for his actions at S. Benedetto on April 23, 1945. Fowler died on October 14, 1981.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, James Harpel, 2006 Gift, Henry Moscow, 1981 Gift, Andy Lucas, 1981 Gift, Sherm Smith, 1988
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fowler, David M., 1898-1981 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the David M. Fowler Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script