Abe Hoffman papers
Scope and Contents
Includes manuscripts written by Hoffman about mining history and Cripple Creek (Colo.), correspondence from publishers, handwritten notes, source materials and photographs of mining areas and abandoned mines presumably in the Cripple Creek area.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Born 1906. As a young boy carried the balloons in Buffalo Bill Cody Wild West Show. Attended the University of Chicago Law School in 1923. Early in his career, changed his last name from Hoffman to Lawrence because of trouble finding work due to his Jewish background. Later became a well-respected City Attorney and served under Denver Mayor James Quigg Newton for five years. Taught at the University of Denver and produced a number of manuscripts that related to the history of mining and the Cripple Creek area. He died in 1989.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Susanna M. Hoffman, 2006.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Cripple Creek (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hoffman, Abe -- Archives.
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mines and mineral resources -- Colorado -- Cripple Creek. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Abe Hoffman papers,1944-1987[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script