Gloria Travis Tanner papers
Scope and Contents
Includes Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc (Denver Chapter) speeches 1989, 1999 by Tanner, Deltas/Mothers Luncheon speech 1997, newspaper clippings, speeches, honorary program, correspondence, newsletters, Metro State alumni association correspondence, brochures, travel itinerary, letters, menu, and press release.
- Tanner, Gloria Travis. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Gloria Travis Tanner, the first African-American woman State Senator, was born in Atlanta, Georgia where she grew up with one brother and five sisters. She has a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Metropolitan State College and a Masters Degree in Urban Affairs from the University of Colorado. She established the first of its kind Institute in Colorado, a Leadership and Training Institute for Future Black Women Leaders of Colorado (FBWLCO).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Gloria Travis Tanner, 2007.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- African American politicians -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African American women legislators -- Colorado. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tanner, Gloria Travis -- Archives.
- Finding Aid for the Gloria Travis Tanner papers,1970-2001[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script