Denver Police Department Intelligence Bureau Files: restricted
Scope and Contents
Police documents regarding political and social protest groups, organized crime activity (especially gangs), and specific crimes such as forgery, robbery, and homicide.
- Check date
- Denver (Colo.).Police Dept.Intelligence Bureau. (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted: Files will be made available only to persons or organizations named in the files. See the following for details: https://history.denverlibrary.org/research/denver-police-intelligence-files Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept. Denver Public Library, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Denver Intelligence Bureau was founded in 1953 to develop and process information on: organized crime, activity by the criminal element, individuals in groups of special interest regarding the safety of the public, dignitary protection, background investigations of police applicants, and arrestsof outstanding fugitives. In 2002, The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a class action suit challenging the Bureau's practices. Subsequent to the lawsuit, the files were deposited in the Denver Public Library's Western History/Genealogy Department for purposes of historical research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by the City and County of Denver, 2005.
Varying Form of Title
Denver police spy files
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the Denver Police Department Intelligence Files.
- Crime -- Colorado -- Denver Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Criminals -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver (Colo.). Police Dept. Intelligence Bureau -- Archives.
- Police -- Records and correspondence -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Police patrol -- Surveillance operations -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Political activists -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Denver Police Department Intelligence Bureau Files,1950-2002 :restricted
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script