Albert H. Jackman oral History
Scope and Contents
Discusses his military career beginning with basic training and ending up with an assignment as a professor of military science at Western Michigan University. He talks about learning that the army needed ski troops, going on active duty in January of 1941, reporting to the 87th Infantry to test equipment and training methods. He goes through winter training at Camp McCoy Wisconsin and proceeds to Camp Hale. He is sent with the 10th Mountain Division to Italy and describes Lizzano and conditions in that area. He talks about the attack on Belvedere and about going into the Po Valley. After Japan surrenders the 10th is deactivated. Mr. Jackman continues, then, to talk about his career, his research on boots and physiology, and his mountain climbing experiences.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Rosedale, Kansas on Feb. 15, 1908. Involved in ROTC program at Princeton in 1927, received a commission in 1931 and went on active duty in January 1941. Early experience with winter sports and Alaskan weather made him well suited for winter military training with the Army. Trained with the 2nd Division at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, and Camp Hale, Colorado. When the 10th Division was established he was on board and served in Italy where he received a Bronze Star for service at Le Borre in 1945. Remained a military career man all his life, achieving the rank of Major. Died in 1997.
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jackman, Albert H., 1908-1997 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Albert H. Jackman oral History[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States