Andres Vigil oral history
Scope and Contents
Discusses signing up for the 10th Mountain troops at the beginning of the war, about training and about being assigned to the HQ Company. He arrives at Camp Hale after Christmas of 1943 for mountain training and ski instruction. He serves on Kiska and describes the conditions and the weather there. He goes to Camp Carson for mountain climbing training and transfers to Camp Hale. He's sent to Italy and describes the actions on Mt. Belvedere, the taking of prisoners, the minefields, and the stringing of communications wires. He talks about Italian Partisan activities and about contact with German soldiers. After Mt. Belvedere they proceed to the Apennines and then to the Po Vally. He talks about Lake Garda and then talks about being detained in Italy when troubles arise in Yugoslavia. He arrives back home on August 2nd and talks about post war work on ranches, and working as a mountain guide.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Nickname "Andy." Born in Pecos, New Mexico. Joined the army at the beginning of World War II and answered the call for volunteers for the 10th Mountain Division. Trained at Ft. Lewis, Washington, at Hunter-Liggitt, at Pando and at Camp Hale and at Camp Carson. Served with the 87th Infantry, Company HQ in Kiska, and in Italy and was awarded a Bronze Star for service in the Apennines and in the Po Valley. After the war he did ranch work and worked as a mountain guide. Died in 1993.
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Georgianna Contiguglia, 2000.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- Vigil, Andres -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Andres Vigil oral history,1992[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script