Thomas B. Stewart oral history
Scope and Contents
Discusses how he became an avid skier in college. When he joined the army he was assigned to the 162nd Infantry at Fort Lewis. Because of a letter he wrote to a General he was assigned to Sitka, Alaska as a guard for a secret shipment of radar equipment. As a college graduate he was accepted for Officer Candidate School and was sent to Fort Benning. He was then assigned to the 87th Infantry in June of 1942. He served many places including Camp Hale. There the 87th was preparing to go to Alaska. When the 87th arrived on Kiska Island the Japanese had already left but because of booby traps and the weather, conditions were grueling. He eventually served in Italy, including serving with a troop that had a ski combat patrol ambushed. There were numerous casualties, but Steward, himself, was assigned to the headquarter company at the time.
- Check date
- Stewart, Thomas B.,1919-2007. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
First learned to ski in 1938. Joined the Army, became an officer, and was assigned to several locations, including Camp Hale and Camp Swift. Served at Kiska and in Italy. Awarded a Bronze Star for his service at Mt. Belvedere, and a Silver Star for his service at S. Benedetto Po. Principal unit was the Headquarters Company, 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment.
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stewart, Thomas B., 1919-2007 -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Thomas B. Stewart oral history, 1992 [sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States