Nathan E. Morrell oral History
Scope and Contents
Morrell discusses how he became a skier at an early age, becoming a teacher at age 16. He volunteered for the army at age 18 in January of 1943 and was sent to Camp Hale. At Hale he became a ski instructor and a rock-climbing instructor. Later he served in West Virginia where he taught rock climbing and survival. He transferred to Camp Swift on July 4, 1944. From there he went to Naples and eventually to Pisa. He served as a stretcher-bearer during the fighting, often transporting stretchers over varying terrain. His company suffered only 4 wounded and no one was killed. He eventually crossed the Po River and was the only person in his boat that knew how to paddle. He talks about the capture of a prominent fascist and about the looting of the villa, as well as how enemy soldiers fired upon medics even though they were supposed to be treated as neutrals.
- Check date
- Morrell, Nathan E.,1924-2013 (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born in New Hampshire. Learned skiing at an early age, became a ski instructor and transferred to the 10th Mountain Division during the war. Served in: Company A, a Medic Unit of the 10th Mountain Division; the Mountain Training Group of the 10th; a Reconnaissance Group; the Headquarters of the 86th Regiment, and in the 86th Regiment, Company C. Received: the Bronze Star at Castel D'Aiano on April 14, 1945 and a Battlefield Commission as a 2nd Lieutenant. Wounded in action on April 14, 1945.
1 sound cassettes
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Morrell, Nathan E., 1924-2013 -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- Finding Aid for the Nathan E. Morrell oral History[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script