Robert W. Lewis Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains an assortment of materials related to Lewis' involvement with the 10th Mountain Division reunions: New England Chapter, Nation Association of the 10th Mountain Division photograph album (1975); Italy reunion photograph albums (1982); Camp Hale 50th Anniversary 1942-1992 photograph album (1992); loose photographs and a group of 35 mm slides (1976-1979).
- Lewis, Robert W.,1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert W. Lewis was born in Massachusetts in 1923 and had completed two years of college and was single when he enlisted in the Army at Fort Devens, Massachusetts on August 9, 1942. He joined what would later become the 10th Mountain Division while it was engaged in mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colorado. He was assigned to the 85th Infantry Regiment and served with the Headquarters Company of the 1st Battalion with Company A. During combat operations in Italy, Lewis received the Bronze Star and was one of only six men in the entire 10th Mountain Division to received the Legion of Merit award. Following the end of hostilities, Lewis was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on May 23, 1945 and went on to complete a career in the Army, retiring as a Colonel.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color slides. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lewis, Robert W., 1923- -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert W. Lewis Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 20, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script