John H. Pierpont oral history
Scope and Contents
Discusses Pierpont at Camp Hale in December of 1942. Recalls drills and practices in 20 degrees below zero weather. Went to Kiska in July of 1943. Served in Italy taking part in the assault on Mt. Belvedere. Talks about men being killed by minefields and grenades that Germans lobbed when they were pretending to surrender. Recalls partisans who killed Germans at night and his furlough in Rome. Concludes with post war information about the 10th Mountain Division Association.
- Check date
- Pierpont, John H.,1917-2002. (Person)
- Contigulia, Georgianna. (Person)
- Contigulia, Georgianna (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Grew up in Massachusetts. Learned to ski at age 6 and was on the ski team in college. Graduated from Harvard in 1939 and joined Army in August 1942. Started as a private, promoted to Corporal, demoted from Corporal and eventually made Sergeant. Principal unit was the 85th Infantry Company D. Served at Fort Carson, Camp Hale and Kiska. Quartered near the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy. Saw action on Mt. Belvedere and Mt. Della Spe. Earned Bronze Star.
1 sound cassette(s)
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Other Finding Aids
Typed transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Georgianna Contigulia, 2000.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pierpont, John H., 1917-2002 -- Interviews.
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archives.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John H. Pierpont oral history,1992[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script