Colorado Military Training Center Proposal
Scope and Contents
35 page, large format, loose leaf notebook containing typed text, photographs, blue prints, maps, etc. illustrating the need for a proposed military training center (circa 1940).
- circa 1940
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Compiled by an unknown author in the spring and summer of 1940, the proposal outlines the rational for a "Mountain Military Training Center" for ski and mountaineering troops within the Arapahoe National Forest near Jone's Pass and East Portal, Colorado. This proposal foreshadows the 10th Mountain Division training center that was eventually established by the U. S. Army during World War II at Camp Hale, Colorado. The material contains the following inscription: "All blue prints were prepared by Robert Balch and Jared Morse, 07/22/1940."
1 OV Folios
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Jared Ruge, 2008.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado Military Training Center -- Archives.
- Military training camps -- Colorado -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Proposals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Topographic maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Training. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description