Alice Stewart Hill Scrapbook
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a scrapbook of mainly pictorial items: commercial greeting cards and prints, postcards and travel memorabilia, a few personal photos and original sketches.
- Hill, Alice (A.) Stewart, 1850-1896 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Wildflower painter Alice Stewart was born in 1851 in Amboy, N.Y. and grew up in Beaver Creek, Penn. In New York City, she attended the School of Design of Cooper Union, and the National Academy of Design (1873-1874). She moved to Colorado Springs, Colo. in 1874 where she advertised art classes in objective drawing, watercolor, and oil painting. Stewart continued teaching for a number of years in Colorado Springs, and briefly in Denver. Married Francis B. Hill on November 23, 1886 in Colorado Springs, Colo. Died 1896; Danville, N.Y. She specialized in water-colors of Colorado wild flowers; illustrated books written by Helen Hunt Jackson.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, unknown donor, no date.
Images removed from scrapbook and digitized in DPL Photo Collection: Judge Geo. P. Stewart Residence (X-14681) and A Pioneer Family (X-11929)
- Artists -- Colorado -- Colorado Springs -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hill, Alice A. Stewart, 1850-1896 -- Archives
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Alice Stewart Hill Scrapbook
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script