George D. Orrell Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection includes German propaganda leaflets (1944); book by Bill Mauldin: "This Damn Tree Leaks" (1945) with autographs of members of Company I , 85th Regiment; copies of Orrell's poem: "A Tribute to a Friend" (ca.1990) and memoir: "One Soldiers WWII Combat Memories With the Tenth Mountain Division" (1997).
- 1944-1945, 1990, 1997
- Orrell, George D.,1922- (Person)
- Orrell, George D., 1922- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
George D. Orrell was born in Laramie, Wyo. on May 9, 1922 and joined the 10th Mountain Division while it was engaged in mountain and winter warfare training at Camp Hale, Colo. He was assigned to Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment and later transferred to Company I, 85th Regiment. Orrell also trained at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions near Mount Belvedere on February 20, 1945. Orrell rose to the rank of Technical and following the war, he received a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, George D. Orwell, 2007, 2009.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc.
- Orrell, George D., 1922- -- Archives.
- Poems Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Propaganda Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Signatures (names) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States