Leroy A. Lewis Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains letters sent to Lewis' wife, Alma after she had informed the families of all of the soldiers under her husband's command that their sons had arrived safely in Italy (1945); photocopies of correspondence sent to Alma Lewis from the "next of kin" for men who had been members of the 710th Ordinance Company (1945), photocopies of correspondence from Roy Lewis to "Pick" concerning the history of the 710th Ordinance Company (1998), photocopy of Lewis account of his wartime experiences (1999).
- Lewis, Leroy A., 1911-1992 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Leroy Alan Lewis was born on December 15, 1911 in New Westminster, B. C., Canada, but moved with his family to Hotchkiss, Colo. in 1912. He was married to Alma Reddick (1913-2010) and had attended the University of Southern Colorado and the University of Alaska before being called to active duty as a Lieutenant in the Army in 1937. Lewis began training with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. in 1943, where he was given command of the 123rd Ordinance Company and later commanded the 710th Ordinance Company. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and during combat operations in Italy. Lewis recieved the Bronze Star Medal for his actions In the Apennine Mountains in February and March 1945. He continued to served in the Army until his retirement as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1969. Lewis died on January 29, 2010.
1 oversize boxes
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Leroy Lewis, 1994. Gift, J. Kroy Ostergaard, 1994.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
Collection contains former collection: C MSS -M2148.
- Armed forces -- Officers -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale(Colo.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Letters (correspondence). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewis, Leroy A., 1911-1992 -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Division, 10th Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Ordinance Company, 710th Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Ordinance Company, 710th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leroy A. Lewis Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script