Philip A. Lunday oral history
Scope and Contents
Discusses being drafted, going through 2 basic trainings and serving on various bases before being trained as a mechanic and being transferred to the 10th Mountain Division. He was assigned to D Company of the 126th Engineers, which functioned to support the infantry. He landed in Naples in January and went to Pisa. It was his duty to maintain the tramway engines. He says the biggest problem was the trucks having flat tires because of the shrapnel on the roads. He also tells a story of a tractor driver that accidentally backed his vehicle off a cliff while trying to evade German artillery fire. The driver jumped and survived. He did not have the winter and mountain training of many of the 10th Mountain troops, so his experience is different from many others.
- Check date
- Lunday, Philip A. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Montana in 1924. Completed one year of college before being drafted in June of 1943. Went to basic training then went to Purdue for 3 months. Then took a second basic training before being trained as a mechanic. Transferred to the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Texas, and was assigned to Company D of the 126th Engineers. Landed in Naples on January 20, 1945 and was posted in Pisa. Served at Camp Carson.
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Georgianna Contiguglia., 2000.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Lunday, Philip A. -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Engineer Battalion, 126th. Company D.
- Finding Aid for the Philip A. Lunday oral history,1993[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States