John B. Woodward oral history
Scope and Contents
Discusses some biographical information before he talks about the Army. He took ROTC at the University of Washington and entered the Army as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1940. He talks about giving some ski instruction, including cross-country, and about driving to Colorado to prepare for the influx of new recruits in the fall of 1941. During the bulk of the tape he talks about uniforms, boots, skis and tents. .
- Check date
- Woodward, John B.,1915- (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna. (Person)
- Contiguglia, Georgianna (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Born in Iowa in 1915 and moved to Seattle in 1927. Learned to ski at a young age with the Boy Scouts. Involved in ROTC at the University of Washington and entered the Army as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1940. Awarded the Bronze Star at Castel D'Aiano (March 4-8, 1945) and a Bronze Star at S. Benedetto Po (April 23, 1945). His principle unit was the 87th Infantry, Headquarters 1st.
Other Finding Aids
Two numbered tape synopses available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Georgianna Contiguglia, 2000.
Only side A is recorded, and it ends mid-sentence.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- Woodward, John B., 1915- -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the John B. Woodward oral history,1992[sound recording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States