Ellsworth L. Miller oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Miller's assignment at Camp Swift, Tex.; training and travel to Italy; aid stations and how they treated injuries at a triage location; treatment and traveling from place to place; Italian homes used as aid stations; crossing the Po River and lake Garda; traveling in Germany and Italy after the war; career as a soldier; CIA and assignments in the Far East, Germany, Canada and Washington D.C.; retirement in Fresno, Calif.; Calif. state health department.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ellsworth L. Miller was born in Riverside, Calif. on February 14, 1916 and enlisted in the Army on June 28, 1943 at Fort MacArthur San Pedro, Calif. At the time of enlistment he was married and had graduated from the University of Southern California School of Medicine. Miller was commissioned a Captain and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. as a surgeon with the 1st Battalion, 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po River Campaigns in April and May of 1945. He remained in the Army after the war and retired as a Colonel in 1970. Miller also received the Legion of Merit and Medical Badge and after retirement from the Army served as a medical consultant for the State of California until 1990.
2 videodiscs (86 min.) :sd., col. ;4 3/4 in. + 1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Duration: 58 min. (DVD #1); 28 min. (DVD #2).
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Miller, Ellsworth L., 1916- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Ellsworth L. Miller oral history,2006[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script