Dakan Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Includes over 100 years of family correspondence from love letters to war correspondence, materials related to the Great Western Sugar Company lawsuit, family photographs, newspaper clippings, diaries, programs, greeting cards, legal materials, genealogy information, military materials, Erie High School materials and correspondence from a family member that worked for the Japanese Internment camp in Amache, Colo.
- Check date
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colorado.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Allen, Mary, Lew, Bernice and Frank Dakan are the children of Albert and Jessie Stanton Dakan. Albert Dakan married Jessie in 1902 and established his law offices in Longmont. He would later serve as city attorney and a term in the state legislature. Jessie was a librarian. Mary Dakan and Bernice Dakan Bullock would grow up to be teachers, Bernice in Ohio and Mary staying in Colorado and a term in Arizona. Lew Dakan would go on to become a photographer in Greeley, Colorado. While Allen, began work for AT&T and would later work for the Civilian Conservation Corps as an engineer. Frank, the youngest of the children, would go on to become a career military man and would retire in Billings, Montana as a colonel in the United States Army Engineers.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Peter Pollock and Martha Bullock, 2007.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Bullock family -- Archives.
- Bullock, Bernice Dakan -- Archives.
- Dakan family -- Archives.
- Dakan, Albert -- Archives.
- Dakan, Frank -- Archives.
- Dakan, Jessie -- Archives.
- Dakan, Lew -- Archives.
- Dakan, Mary -- Archives.
- Great Western Sugar Company -- Archival resources.
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Longmont (Colo.) -- Lawyers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stanton family -- Archives.
- Finding Aid for the Dakan family papers,1860-2003[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script