Thurl D. Brown Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains clippings; correspondence (1996); ephemera (1991); and poetry: "Rucksack Recollections" (n.d.).
- 1991, 1996
- Brown, Thurl D.,1908-1995. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Thurl D. Brown was born in Mass. in 1908 and enlisted in the Army at Boston, Mass. in 1942. He had completed 4 years of college and worked as an author, editor or reporter and was unmarried. Brown joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and later served at Fort Ord, Calif., Kiska Island, Alaska, Camp Swift, Tex., and Italy. He was with Companies M and L of the 87th Infantry Regiment, and worked as a Technician Grade 4 at the Headquarters of 3rd Battalion of the 87th and the 10th Division. While engaged in combat operations in Italy, Brown received the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and the Po Valley from February to May 1945. Thurl Brown died in 1995.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Brown, Thurl D., 1908-1995 -- Archives.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script