William C. Murphy Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains Murphy's scrapbook with clippings, military patches and other ephemera.
- circa 1945
- Murphy, William C.,1922-1999. (Person)
- Murphy, William C., 1922-1999, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William C. Murphy was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania on October 5, 1922 and enlisted in the Army at Newark, New Jersey in October 1942. At the time of enlistment he was single and had completed four years of high school. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, but also served at Camp Swift, Texas and in Italy. Initially assigned to Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment, he later transferred to the 3rd Battalion Headquarters of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Murphy was staff sergeant to Jim Barr, Intelligence Officer and was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions near Borre Di Sopra in February 1945. Murphy died in Willingboro, New Jersey on February 28, 1999.
1 oversize box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
William C. Murphy; Gift; 1994.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Postcards were removed from the scrapbook before it was donated and are now in the Archive Photograph collection.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Murphy, William C., 1922-1999 -- Archives.
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William C. Murphy Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 17, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States