Richard J. Cooper Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains Cooper's military papers (1942-1945); related ephemera (ca.1940's); and a copy of his memoir: "Trooper Cooper's Nine Lives" (n.d.).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Richard J. Cooper was born in Amsterdam, N.Y. in 1917 and enlisted in the Army at Albany, N.Y. in 1942. He had completed four years of high school and had an associate degree from business college. Cooper was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division because he had skied in the Adirondacks. He was selected for Officer's Candidate School at Ft. Benning, Ga. and then served at Camp Hale, Colo., Camp Swift, Tex., and in Italy with the 85th, 86th, and 87th Infantry Regiments. While engaged in combat operations, Cooper was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Monteforte in 1945. He attained the rank of Captain. Cooper died in 2006.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Richard J. Cooper, 2002.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cooper, Richard J., 1917-2006 -- Archives.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script