Andrew D. Hastings Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a copy of an article generated by Hastings: "Topophilic and Topographic Perceptions of the American Mountain Soldier in WWII" (1967); clippings (1967); correspondence (1972-1973); and ephemera (n.d.).
- Hastings, Andrew D.,Jr.,1924-1998. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Andrew Hastings was born in N.H. in 1924 and enlisted in the Army in 1943 at Ft. Devens, Mass. At the time of his enlistment he had completed four years of high school, was a bookkeeping machine operator and unmarried. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to Company I, then Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served in Companies G, C and E of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Hastings was transferred to Camp Swift, Tex. before going to Italy, where he was wounded in action in April 1945 at Serre D'Aiano. He attained the rank of Corporal and died in 1998.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
Photographs transferred to 10th Mountain Division Digitized Photographs Collection (TMD351)
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hastings, Andrew D., Jr., 1924-1998 -- Archives.
- Short stories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script