John R. Parker Papers
Scope and Contents
The items in the collection include copies of Parker's memoirs (1947, 1950, 1951), extracts and biographical information from Parker's autobiography (1944-1991); correspondence with other veterans (1958-1994); ephemera (1944); military papers (1944, 1945, n.d.); color slides from Camp Hale, Colo. and Italy (1943-1945); photographs (n.d.).
- Parker, John R.,1912-1994. (Person)
- Creek, Susanna P., (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John R. Parker was born in 1912 in Fort Douglas, Utah. He was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, graduating in 1935. Initially appointed to the infantry, he transferred to the Corps of Engineering. During World War II, Parker commanded the 126th Mountain Engineering Battalion of the 10th Mountain Division serving first at Camp Swift, Texas and later in Italy. He received the Legion of Honor during the Korean War and retired from the Army as a Colonel in 1956. Parker died in 1994.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Susanna Creek; 1998, 1999.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Autobiographies (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color slides. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Parker, John R., 1912-1994 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Engineer Battalion, 126th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John R. Parker Papers
- Keli Schmid
- March 26, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States