Harry Poschman Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a copy of Poschman's memoir: "The Birth and Death of the 10th Mountain" (1983), clippings (2004); and correspondence (n.d.).
- 1983, 2004
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Harry Poschman was born in Pa. in 1913 and enlisted in the Army in 1942 at Fort MacArthur, San Pedro, Calif. At the time of his enlistment he had completed three years of high school, was working in a laundry or dry cleaner and was unmarried. Poschman joined the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Wash. and served also at Camp Hale, Colo., Fort Ord, Calif., Kiska Island, Alaska, and at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. He was assigned to Company H of the 87th Infantry Regiment, later with the Mountain Training Group before joining the 85th Infantry Regiment, Companies G and B, and the Headquarters of the 1st Battalion. Poschman was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and Po Valley in 1945. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Poschman died in 2006.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Harry Poschman, 1988.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poschman, Harry, 1913-2006 -- Archives.
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script