William H. Julian oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Julian's volunteering for service at age 17; transport experience aboard the USS Argentina and landing in Naples, Italy; difficulty with skiing; rock climbing lessons; arriving by train in Pisa, Italy; Riva Ridge: weather, climbing, counterattacks, death of Fernandez, wounds received; hospitalization; nightmares; picking up supplies in Campiano; capturing German soldiers in the Po Valley; involvement with the national association in the 1980s; later visits to Italy and the hospitality of the people.
- Check date
- Julian, William H.,1926- (Person)
- Hampton, Myrna, (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William H. Julian was born in Leesburg, Tex. on February 13, 1926 and in December 1943 at age 17 joined the Army Reserve. He was later assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division and served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Juilan was a member of an assault platoon that captured Mount Pizzo di Campiano on Riva Ridge in January 1945. Twice wounded, he received two Purple Heart and two Bronze Star medals.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
William H. Julian;gift;2006. Myrna Hampton;gift;2006.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Julian, William H., 1926- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc. Armadillo chapter.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William H. Julian oral history,2001-2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States